Friday, December 24, 2004

 

Poppins Patrol

I read an article this morning in the New York Times, written by Virginia Hetternan. It was titled "Poppins on the Loose: Lock Up Your Children". In this article, Ms. Hetternan takes the beloved tale of Mary Poppins and adds a political agenda to it.

Ms. Hetternan begins by telling us of her fond memories of "Mary Poppins". She then spends the rest of the article explaining how she has discovered the truth behind the magic. The movie was nothing more than a 1960's political statement about the working class versus middle class in 1910. She speaks of the "pro-pollution" scenes. She accuses Mary Poppins of being ambivalent towards the Suffragette Movement in which Mrs. Banks is so deeply involved. She declares that Mary Poppins is nothing more than an early version of today's "nightmare nanny" who does nothing to help the children, hangs out with her boyfriend while on the clock, and is younger and prettier than the mother (that predatory bitch!).

I'm sorry, Ms. Hetternan, but I have to strongly disagree with you on the subject of your article. It is true that the writers of many children's movies add some material and lines that will entertain the adults. I can watch movies now and laugh at material that I didn't even know was there when I watched as a child. That's the beauty of aging and maturity. Children who are of the age to enjoy "Mary Poppins" in it's truest sense are not old enough, nor are they mature enough to even know what the Suffragette Movement was. It's called ENTERTAINMENT. Can't we leave it at that? Can't we grab a bag of popcorn, sit down, and lapse into an imaginary world where a person can jump into chalk drawings and soar up through chimneys? I guess some people can't, and that makes me sad. I'd hate to see your take on Santa Clause, Ms. Hetternan...A man with a factory full of working elves, with a wife who stays at home, and with a sleigh that is pulled by living beasts. Mary Poppins is just as fictional as Santa Clause, and she was created for the same purpose as Santa Clause - to delight children.

Comments:
I agree 100%. Maybe there were some political aspects to the story- there always are. You can look at anything and put a political agenda to it. But WHO CARES?? Its purpose in that sense is pure entertainment.
 
I know about the Wizard of Oz political stuff, actually. I think you told me, B. Not sure, but I remember hearing that. I just have never heard this side of Mary Poppins, and I find it hard to believe. Who knows? The author of this article, however, did not provide any back-up to her theory. No similar opinions. Nothing. I think, on this one, she just wanted to cause a stir but had nothing to do it with.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?