Wednesday, January 26, 2005

 

Rockin' Roomie

I was just about to talk about shitty public transportation in my lovely city here, but then my roommate, Rebecca, came to my rescue. You see, the Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Portsmouth/etc. area is kind of like the DFW metroplex. There are 7 cities that have all merged into one big one. Everything is spread out, though, so it takes a car to really get around easily. There is a bus system here, but most of the time it'll take me almost 2 hours to get somewhere that takes no more than 30 minutes to drive to from my apartment. So I avoid taking the bus as much as possible. Sometimes it's out of my hands, though. Like today....

I need to go to my hospital to pick up some paperwork and get some counseling on my forthcoming medical board. The hospital is in Portsmouth, which is about 30 minutes from here by car. So if you read the paragraph above, you'd know that it'd take almost 2 hours by bus. That is, of course, if there were a bus route that took me any closer than about 5 blocks from the hospital. And the buses only pick up once an hour.

Rebecca to the rescue! She is taking off of work (big sacrifice, I know, getting out of work for an hour or so) to drive home and get me, then drive me to Portsmouth. Then she's going to pick me back up when she gets off of work. She has unselfishly done this kind of thing since she returned home from deployment. Lots of times, I don't even ask. She comes up with the plan that may inconvenience her, but will help me. How many people do you know who will do that without pouring on a side of martyr with it? I don't know many.

So thank you, Rebecca, for everything you've done for me these last several months. One of these days, I hope to find a way to repay you.

Comments:
I had to get a shot over there anyways... and besides, you'd do it for me if we were in opposite roles...
 
Yes, thank you Rebecca! You are the No. 1 Honorary Johnson Sister, which gives me peace of mind, but makes me feel like a bad sister. Thanks for taking care of my Pee Wee!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?