Thursday, September 17, 2009

 

Bad Press

It seems as if any personal creativity held by those who work for the government is checked at the curb before walking in the office door. If it's not, it will be completely quelched. I take great pride in my sense of fashion and display it proudly in the clothes I wear to work. In a vast sea of boring black and grey suits where the only pop of color can be found on an audacious tie choice, I boldly wear kelly green dresses and red high heel shoes (not together, of course) on a daily basis.

Today, I am wearing a brown dress that comes down to a few inches above my knee - I am wearing black tights to off-set the length. Because there are no sleeves, I am wearing a long-sleeved cardigan with a belt. The dress has a slight plunging neckline that does show some cleavage. Not like I'm popping out of the thing. My ass is not hanging out. Sure, it's not a conventional work outfit, but it's laundry day, so I pulled together a look that would get me through the day.

Apparently, me and my scandalous dress have been the topic of conversation around the office all day. Folks were playing "not it" deciding who was going to have "the conversation" with me. My good friend Ann bit the bullet and said she would. I love her for it - I'd rather know than not know. Kind of like walking around all day with spinach in your teeth and no one telling you, you know?

So I work in an office full of fashion philistines. Apparently this is not the first time my clothing choice has raised speculation. Turns out not all press is good press. I better make sure my mumu is clean for tomorrow!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?